Three years ago, on for my first Valentine’s Day in Guatemala, I asked out a girl, which was a big deal for me, but then around evening she called me and said she was just going to do stuff with her girlfriends. She’s married now and has a kid. Such is life. The next year I was bitter with love and prayed that it would rain on Valentine’s Day, hoping it would ruin the day for everyone else. Miraculously it rained, which proved to me that God does care, even for the single people. And last year I tried to take a girl out on a date, but she stood me up and I ended up going out to coffee with a friend. And by far the coffee with a friend was the best.
Tonight many people will be preparing for their big date. This could be a date with a special long time love or a first date, maybe even a blind date, no matter what excitement rings in the air.
Whatever, those people don’t need ideas for what to do on Valentine’ Day. But if they are just starting to plan now, they’ll soon end up like the rest of us lonely loveless losers. They don’t need help. They don’t need blog ideas for what to do on the perfect date. It’s us, the single men and women who need help.
Fortunately, I have a couple of ideas for us lonely loveless losers, that will help make this day special.
First and foremost. You are not a lonely loveless loser. Let me repeat that: YOU ARE NOT A LONELY LOVELESS LOSER. Just because you don’t have a date tonight or haven’t had a date in days or weeks or months or years, doesn’t mean someone doesn’t love you. So here are some fun and shameless things to do on Valentine’s Day.
1. Stalk your friends: Track down your most adventurous friend, you know the guy or girl, the one who is always telling the stories about almost dying, and ask him or her to go sky diving. Do something adventurous with a friend. Friendships last longer than most dating relationships, so why sit at home alone tonight. Remember your friends love you too.
2. Use your stinking phone: Call up your parents, brothers or sisters, or grandparents and tell them how much you love them. Tonight could be the night you reconnect with them and reciprocate all the love they showed you. Just because you don’t have a date to go out on, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t tell someone you love them, and I know your mom will love hearing your voice. (And if you want call all your friends and tell them you love them too, and yes guys tell your dudes how you feel too.)
3. Get Naked (emotionally speaking): Remember no one is too macho for love. Rent your favorite movie and invite some friends over. If you cry during Lord of the Rings, like I do, there’s nothing wrong with that. I am moved to tears every time Sam Gamge helps Frodo up Mount Doom. So, pop that favorite movie in and don’t be afraid to let your emotions show with your friends. If anything it will create some fun memories with your friends.
4. Get off your ass: Go to a place where you know you will see other people. You can do this by yourself or with a friend, I suggest with a friend if possible, but it is not a sin to take yourself out. Just get in a public place populated by people. Coffee shops are great, but if you aren’t really wanting to spend time around overly sappy puppy lovey dovey couples, then find another location where you can meet people. Just get off your ass and don’t sit at home alone tonight.
5. Admit that you are hopeless: My students love to give advice on love, and one of the best bits of information I have taken from them is when you stop looking for love it finds you. So admit that you are a lost cause. Give up. I find that this helps me relax and just have fun. As the Gene in Aladdin says, “BBEE Yourself!” ’cause when you are being yourself, and you are not worrying about love, life will be more enjoyable. And who knows, when you are enjoying life you just might find that special someone.
6. Suit Up! Spend a little time and money on yourself. Send yourself flowers. You are special, so treat yourself that way tonight. While you’re out and about in your best, realize that how you look doesn’t matter, but over all, the act of spending time with people is what is important, who knows, you might realize you’ve already got people in your life who love you.
7. Throw a Dance Party: Everyone loves to let lose and maybe even dance. There are plenty of single people around town who need something to do. Tell your friends what you are doing and you’ll be amazed at the results. This doesn’t have to be well organized or even planned out. Just create a place where people can come and have fun. And if you need some help with some moves, here is a helpful dance blog.
Or take some advice from another Disney movie and Just Kiss The Girl. Take a chance and ask that girl out. Just because I’ve been stood up, turned down, and rained on, doesn’t mean that is going to happen to you.
But if none of these ideas help, just give me a call, ’cause I’m not doing anything.